Friday, February 27, 2026

 "There is not a single case in musical history of a composer being a century ahead of his time: the greatest composers have been perfectly comprehensible to the average instructed music-lover of their day" 

- Sir Ernest Newman, 1925

In partial reinforcement of my thought-probe in the previous post....

Although that said 

a/ a century is long time to be in advance .... how about someone who's five years ahead of their time?

b/ greatest composers being comprehensible to the average music-lover of their day .... how about a not-so-great composer who is incomprehensible to most everybody?








3 comments:

  1. Isn't the problem that the very concept of a band or artist being ahead of their time is a laurel that can only be awarded retrospectively? Isn't it essentially just the judgement of later critics viewing the past with a bit of perspective? In essence, are you just decrying lazy critical shorthand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not decrying anything, I am just speculating as to whether it's ever true that composers / bands are ahead of their time.

      It's a rhetorical device, a claim, I've used myself, but you are right that it can only be done retrospectively.

      Or is it? I do feel like I have read people writing in real-time that such and such an artist is ahead of their time. But it's true that we won't know until much later. So really it largely works as hype - "pay attention to this, get in on the ground floor of something that's super-advanced"

      Delete
  2. Is someone ahead of their time if their music shapes the future while being relatively unknown when it came out? Or if it now makes sense in a different context? Outside proto-punk and Brian Eno's quote about the Velvet Underground, Manuel Gottsching's E2-E4 sounds much more prescient than it must have in 1981. From what I've seen and read, AUTOBAHN-era Kraftwek were seen as prog-adjacent stoner music or a novelty act rather than pioneers of dance music.

    ReplyDelete

 "Art is domination. It's making people think that for that precise moment in time there is only one way, one voice. Yours"  -...